- 1 AVAILABLE WORKS
- 1.1 Issue 1. Eso' (Comic cover series) by Aébayo Bolaji 2017
- 1.2 Untitled: Topless. 1. by Adébayo Bolaji 2017
- 1.3 First Day As King by Adébayo Bolaji 2018
- 1.4 Consciousness by Adébayo Bolaji 2018
- 1.5 Mother To Be by Adébayo Bolaji 2018
- 1.6 Black President - A Portrait Of Fela Kuti by Adébayo Bolaji 2018
- 1.7 What Is Beauty? by Adébayo Bolaji
- 1.8 Head of Pharaoh by Adébayo Bolaji
- 1.9 Return of the King by Adébayo Bolaji
- 1.10 Bird Eye by Adebayo Bolaji
For Bolaji, all change is about about process, one is becoming. That may involve a stripping away or an adding onto something/someone. Bolaji’s way of working also involves an idea that has not yet reached its full potential - and so he experiments in constructing a narrative or subject matter… why? Bolaji sees this as ‘dealing with himself’, a kind of therapy.
“A burden is released and then I ask it questions through brush strokes, use of colour, text and so forth. The final image is one that presents itself with either dealing with this process of change or of becoming.”
This can be seen in such pieces as ‘ A Portrait of Fela Kuti’. Fela, a Nigerian musical icon who himself underwent a fundamental process of change in his own beliefs of African ideology and philosophy against that which had been enforced (as he would say) by British colonialism.
Bolaji’s subject matters seem to exhibit this idea of continual change, that we are always under this process and so in a sense, there is also a sense of positive reinforcement about such concepts as pain, confusion, … though a painting may deal with these things, they never end there, but leave the viewer with a sense of hope … that the narrative continues with them.